Monday 16 July 2012

Blue Jeans


The other week I bought some old annuals from a charity shop.  Blue Jeans 1988 & 1989 (I would have been 15 & 16 respectively when these were published). I'm not sure if I was actually reading Blue Jeans then. I know I used to read Just17 when I was about 13 much to my mother's dismay ('But you're NOT 17!') I might have more on to 19 magazine or even More by then.


Hilarious to look at old fashions and pop stars.  It's amazing how normal looking a lot of the 'heart throbs' were in the 80's, a pre Photoshop age.  It's refreshing.

Nick Berry makes me think of a friend of mine, we used to listen to 'Every Loser Wins' in her bedroom.

'We nearly made it...'

There is an article about 'Great Fashion Mistakes Of Our Time' which sneers previous fashions


And then follows it with these without any irony

Winnie the Pooh sweatshirt anyone?
(the net skirt is also a winner)
Like she just stepped out of a salon


The Brosette look was the height of fashion


It's funny looking back at a really much more innocent time, tips on about what makes a 'Good Friend' & a 'Not Very Good Friend' made me smile, the concept of frenemies in 1989. 

And call me naive but it had never occurred to me why Blue Jeans was called Blue Jeans until I saw this...


surely not just a modern term?

How did that get through?  'And the winner of the BJ awards goes to...'

 This article was my absolute favourite though




PS I just listened to this for the first time in about 20 years - this went to No 1?!





2 comments:

  1. AMAZING! That is without doubt one of the worst songs Ive ever heard but it made me laugh rather a lot! Was loving the little acted scene where she is pushing him away and he keeps harrassing her..I just wanted her to turn around and punch him! And hooray for BJ awards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I guess George Michaels has made up for being so well behaved in the '90s???

    ReplyDelete