Thursday 9 February 2012

Super(post)man

Today having worked this morning, I went gone to pick girl 2 up from nursery, dealt with a major tantrum with said girl, drove to the local sorting office to collect some parcels I'd missed yesterday (including a birthday present from my in laws for said small grumpy girl). Trying to lifts her spirits I told her I thought one of the parcels was for her (knowing that at least one other was a parcel from Amazon for me).

I fought my way through the traffic, remembering this time that my usual route is currently access only and meaning I had to brave the temporary traffic lights the other way.  Never mind, I think, at least I can cheer her up with the present.  The usual 2 minute journey takes about 20.  When I arrive I have remembered to check that I have change for the parking meter as they are sticklers round there and so I have to pay the minimum charge.  We both get out of the car and walk along.  And oh, wait what's this?  The lights not on.  Shit, it's 1.20pm and today the bloody thing closes at 1pm.

Bugger bugger bugger bugger.

A man is locking up and sees the look on my face.  'We closed at 1 today love'.  'What a shame I say, I just paid for parking'.  He offers to arrange the relivery.  Makes a note on the card to reschedule for Monday & posts it back through the door promising to sort it out when he gets back.

What a helpful man I think.  'Come on, I say to my girl, lets go home'
'But what about my PRESENT?'  she demands, lip petted
'The man's going to deliver it on Monday' I tell her
At this point she dissolves in tears.  The postie looks at me quizzically.  I smiled appologetically 'Birthday present' I tell him.
'When is his birthday?' He asks about my beautiful girl in cerise pink hat & school skirt
'It was HER birthday yesterday'
He looks at me and then at her.  And then that marvellous man turned round and unlocked the door.  He handed my girl her parcel saying 'Happy Birthday'

I was so touched that he took the trouble to do that for her.  It made me smile all afternoon. Well at least until it started snowing again...

1 comment: