Tuesday 24 January 2012

Twilight - end of a Saga **Spoiler alert**



So I've finished the Twilight Saga & I am part uplifted by it and part... is that it?  Really?  That is what the 4 books (one of which like a telephone directory) was leading up to? 

Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed each of Stephanie Meyers books but kind of feel like they are the literature equivalent to KFC - I think the idea is probably more appealing than the reality, it never really lives up to what you'd like it to be.

Whilst about 2 thirds of the way through Breaking Dawn I turned to the friend who loaned it to me and said 'Why do I get the feeling that this is just going to be resolved in a paragraph?'

In each of Ms Meyers novels there had been a terrible threat for Bella / Edward / The Cullens / Jacob / the good folks of Forks but they all seem to be resolved in under a chapter & always a bit too simply. 

What, the werewolves want to kill Bella & Edwards daughter, but oh, Jacob has imprinted on her and so it is forbidden for them to attack her so it's all OK now.   Oh OK.

What the transformation to vampire is terrible and a 'newborn' vampire is feral and completely out of control for decades, oh but Bella is the exception to the rule you say?

So the Volturi are set to kill The Cullens and everyone who stands with them, but what is this?  Whilst a half hearted kind of battle splutters to a start Bella works out she has a force field that can protect everyone....Righto.

And they all lived happily ever after.


Maybe I am just expecting too much, it isn't really pitched at my age group, but I kind of want a bit more clever in my stories.  If a terrible danger can be resolved with a one line fix it just seems a bit cheap.

I guess it gives me hope though that if she can make that big maybe anyone can, including me.  Now all I need to do is figure what the heck the next big thing will be.  Zombie teens?



So that's it, it's all over, my flirting with teen angst...Oh but I can still look forward to watching the very wooden but rather beautiful RPattz in the last two films...


RPattz is sneaking onto my list

5 comments:

  1. I love twilight but yes it is all a bit 14 year old girlish! True blood is the future! Think twilight gone all grown up!

    Toni x

    Myplussizedwardrobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, yes very true. I'm tempted to write a sequel from the point of view of Leah, or maybe Renesmee (snort) and give the story of how she doesn't want to be paired off with Jacob, ta very much.

    Read The Hunger Games - properly exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah and 'Renesmee' too, what's that all about?! Is Stephanie Meyers actually a 14 year old girl?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read The Hunger Games - you might find it a bit more satisfying. Also, I know it's YA again, but you can't go wrong with Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy.

    Cough.

    I do also read proper literature, like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're the 2nd person to recommend The Hunger Games so I may give them a go. Am currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (I appear to be waaaaay behind on my triologies!)
    I have read the Dark Materials trilogy & enjoyed them. What I remember about The Northern Lights is that many of the chapters seemed to end with someone saying to Lyra 'You have travelled far and I have much to tell you. But first you must sleep'.

    ReplyDelete